Yes, a day after Jesus' alleged resurrection we're trying to resurrect here aswell.
Since 2 months lots of improvements have been made.
In case I feel like it I'll write a piece on it someday on my blog,
but for now I'll go for a (relatively) short list of things altered/added:
- The future system "behind the scenes" is a DATABASE (instead of a mere bunch of separate files) and it's fully functional (at home) since a week or 3, maybe 4.
- The main remaining issue resides in shoving all "old" data into it, only about 3%, maybe 4%, has been done sofar.
- Other problems include the presentation of split releases (split meaning "2 labels releasing it" or 2 bands "on the record" or even both) and compilations.
The few that are in the database now look really ugly on the website, try to find one yourself ... (don't).
- Since 2 or 3 weeks it's possible to keep up with the new releases. Which comes down to all new releases I got one way or the other are listed.
Older releases, especially those for january and february still remain unnoticed, but that'll be repaired soon.
You as a visitor will not see much from this, except:
- Way more labels and bands are listed. In the future there will be no labels or bands without their own page.
For a "modern" labelpage, see P.Trash Records,
for a typical "modern" bandpage, see the page of excellent UK band The Long Blondes.
In both case you see the releases being numbered, which is also new.
- Nothing was done on the Covers and Peoples listing but the number of bands listed was raised from 1701 to 1848 and 55 new labels were listed.
So the migration didn't stop new bands or labels being added, this even improved and it will keep on improving even more.
- Minor change, but very handy, there's subpages now with listings for bands or labels starting with a particular character, see
http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/bands/d/ or http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/label/i/.
- With, again, the exception of major labels and artists everything played at the radioshow will be listed in the future.
At some later time this also will be the case for everything that was played before april 2006,
but HEY! time in life is LIMITED (and damn do I regret that).
- Sofar nothing will be done on either layout or basic structures on the site.
It's just the way in which new data is added and especially the speed in which this is done that'll be altered.
In the (near) future there might be more changes, most noticeably the appearance of advertisements on the site.
The latter is only done because I need to BUY TIME, dammit.
Be sure to note the addition (here) of 7 new radioshows, #172 til #178. #179 will be available tomorrow.
In case you still need to/want to hear all of 'm, be sure to START with the OLDEST ones, since they'll be offline quite (way too) soon.
Here's their titles:
- apr 18, 2006 #179: Beasts Of Bourbon & The Long Blondes
- apr 10, 2006 #178: We Start Fires & Battleship
- apr 3, 2006 #177: Coachwhips & The Kidnappers
- mar 27, 2006 #176: Grunnen Calling
- mar 20, 2006 #175: The Fe Fi Fo Fums & The Suspicions
- mar 13, 2006 #174: New Fangs & Peripherique Est
- mar 6, 2006 #173: Singles Only no. 5
- feb 27, 2006 #172: Gossip XXX Gossip XXX Gossip
All comments / messages / reactions go to:
Please do send anything you'd like, especially people mentioning errors, mistakes, missing links, lost data, suggestions are welcome ALL THE TIME.
Next update hopefully the first week of may and if we're really lucky next week tuesday (april 25), love, Evert.